Is electromagnetic hypersensitivity real?

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity tends to be somewhat of a controversial topic in the scientific communities. 

Before I became a building biologist, I know I may have also been among the sceptics. Having seen, first-hand, how this kind of sensitivity can affect people, I’m more of a believer these days.

While we’re all exposed to some form of electromagnetic radiation or the other and can withstand it to some extent, people who are hypersensitive find this difficult. It can result from exposure to everyday devices like a Wi-Fi router or even your microwave.

According to the WHO, it is a condition that can be attributed to the unexplained symptoms caused by exposure to sources of electromagnetic radiation.

Till today, many people think it’s unlikely that EMFs (electromagnetic fields) can cause serious health conditions. There is evidence, though, that it could account for cases where people suffer from certain symptoms for no identifiable cause or reason.

I don’t think this phenomenon is impossible, not least due to the fact that we’re constantly surrounded by some kind of digital device. Is it really surprising then that people are reporting this kind of sensitivity? 

To help you get a better idea about electromagnetic hypersensitivity, I’ve outlined a few things to keep in mind and what you can do to deal with it.

What are the signs of electromagnetic hypersensitivity?

For people who report this kind of hypersensitivity, symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and a tingling sensation are the most common.

As I’ve outlined in a previous post, leading scientific research in this field has discovered just how deeply EMFs affect us. For people experiencing electromagnetic hypersensitivity, other symptoms could include (and this is based on scientific research):

● Memory problems including word-finding issues (anomia) and dyslexia

● Learning, concentration and behavioural problems

● Flu-like symptoms

● Sleep problems like insomnia

● Eye issues

● Fatigue

● Anxiety and depression

● Muscle and joint pain, numbness, weakness, restless legs, spasms, tremors, pain in the jaw and teeth

● Skin: rashes, tingling, irritation, dry skin, lumps, pigmentation like brown ‘sunspots’, sensations similar to electric shocks, flushing and the skin feeling like its sunburnt

● Sensitivity to chemicals, light, noise or smells

● Tinnitus and hearing loss

● Cardiopulmonary: heart palpitations, high blood pressure, arrhythmias and shortness of breath

● An increased risk of brain tumours (gliomas and acoustic neuromas)

While I certainly think that more research needs to be done in this field, there is credible evidence that hypersensitivity may be a problem for certain people. If you or your loved ones are suffering from any of these issues with no identifiable cause, consult a doctor immediately.

Can we prevent electromagnetic hypersensitivity?

Many people ask me what can be done to prevent this kind of condition. Unlike other medical conditions or allergies though, there’s really nothing to do but limit your exposure to EMFs.

I’ve said this once and I’ll say it again: it’s next to impossible to eliminate EMF radiation from our lives completely. You’d have to be willing to give up just about every form of technology known to mankind. 

If you’d like to know more about how to reduce EMF in your home, check this post out.

Should I have my home investigated for EMF?

Even if you can’t eliminate exposure to EMFs completely, you can still identify how extensive this issue may be in your home. That’s where EMF inspections come into the picture.

If you decide to schedule one, a licensed building biologist will check your space, top to bottom, using certain EMF detection tools. By doing so, you get an understanding of whether these levels are too high. Depending on who you work with on this, you may be able to find out what you can do to reduce this radiation too.

Reduce your risk of electromagnetic hypersensitivity with the right lifestyle habits

I’ve always believed that it’s possible to reduce your risk of electromagnetic hypersensitivity by following better lifestyle habits. By getting a good understanding of how to use your devices, for instance, it’s easier to maintain a safe and healthy home.

To begin with, it’s important to have your space investigated to identify potentially hazardous sources of EMFs. That’s where I can support you with a comprehensive EMF inspection in your space.